Browse Exhibits (12 total)
A broken piece of a looking glass that was brought from England by the first English settlers in the New World.
This watch was made in Middlebury, Vermont during the mid to late 19th century, unconventially using ivory to craft the interworkings.
An 18th century pocket compass, originally belonged to Ebenezer Markham, and later donated to Henry Sheldon in 1900.
-- A journey into the past to understand the present--
-- A great leap foward often requires taking two steps back--
Analyzing how people in the 19th century viewed anecdotal oddities from their region.
This wooden cup was made from the wood that was used to build the famous Alden House in Duxbury, Massachusetts.
Original carving of John Brown's house on tree fungus.
A Camera Lucida preserved in Middlebury Special Collections. Brought over from England along with many other scientific instruments by Frederick Hall, a Middlebury Natural Philosophy professor in the early 1800's.
Examining the local and global persepectives afforded by Hall's scientific instruments.
Specific gravity beads made in Scotland and brought to Middlebury by Frederick Hall.
This is an air pump brought back from London by Frederick Hall, a professor at Middlebury College. It was used to suck out air to make the tube a vacuum space.