Browse Exhibits (1 total)
This exhibit provides images that were taken after the closing of St. Joseph's Orphanage. St. Joseph's operated from 1854 to 1974 by the Sisters of Providence. After the closing, the orphanage was scheduled to be completely gutted and refurbished to be used for Liberty House, a new apartment complex. The remodeling of the building introduced the potential of erasing the setting of the orphans' secrets. However, these images attempt to provide context to the stories and remind residents of their experiences. Starting in 1993, residents that suffered abuse and mistreatment began reaching out to tell their stories and seek compensation. Some of these images are from the lawsuit initiated by Philip White on behalf of St. Joseph's survivors. The defendants named were the Burlington Diocese, Vermont Catholic Charities, and the orphanage.
There is currently an ongoing investigation into abuse claims made by dozens of former St. Joseph residents. The investigation is led by a Vermont law task force, working in coordination with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Burlington. Vermont Catholic Charities holds St. Joseph's records and is working with the task force and diocese to review the reports. The task force is currently interviewing survivors and meets once a month to discuss updates on the case; however, there have been no criminal prosecutions on the case up to this date.