St. Joseph's Orphanage

Dublin Core

Title

St. Joseph's Orphanage

Subject

orphanages
care of dependent children
child-saving

Description

St. Joseph's Orphanage was operated by the Sisters of Providence from 1854 to 1974. For most of that period, the orphanage was located on North Avenue in Burlington. While a private Catholic institution, it was one of Vermont's few institutions serving dependent children through the mid-20th century. In recent decades, more than one-hundred former residents of St. Joseph's say they were physically, sexually and emotionally abused by nuns, priests or lay staff workers in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s.

Creator

Holly Allen, Middlebury College

Publisher

Middlebury College

Date

1854-present

Contributor

Natalie Meyer, Catherine Blizzard, Erica Dean

Language

English

Coverage

1854-present